Thursday, April 7, 2011

Like the loss of sunlight on a cloudy afternoon...


Its been two years since Michael Jackson passed and to be honest, it's still very raw for me. No one will ever understand how he affected me not as a musician or performer but as a person. I will try and explain what he was for me. For me, he was primarily my childhood. With his death was the death of my childhood. Through my ups and downs, he was there through his messages of love, music and dancing. One may argue that they're still there. Indeed, but I naively wanted to be one of those children who would befriend him and just learn so much from him. This was actually something I thought would one day happen and with his death was the death of that hope along with the idea that there is still purity in the world.

Michael Jackson was so unbelievably misunderstood and I felt his pain. It's disconcerting to think that it is only once someone passes, that they are given the attention and love they deserve. He was not simply an icon but a father, a son, a brother, an uncle and most importantly a human being. I lost a lot of faith in humanity when I would hear people criticise him heartlessly. Few people have hearts as big and welcoming as his. He was a humanitarian. To me, he represented love, acceptance, kindness and transcendence with what he could achieve musically.

A highly intelligent and giving individual like him will never be forgotten by those who truly loved him.

Michael, you gave so much to the world. I only hope to give as much as you one day. You were are and always will be an inspirational and influential figure in my life no matter how far away you are or how close. I wanted to steer clear of cliches but I know you're in a better place where you're appreciated. You came too soon for this world. We're still in an embryonic phase and I don't think we'll be able to see and appreciate the world as you did any time soon but all I can say is that you have definitely moved people to try.

1958-Forever.

2 comments:

  1. Baby i would double fb like this if i could.

    This was a beautifully written piece. Eloquently expressed & raw. You write with such conviction & integrity. I love that, we need more people like you in this world. Good quality genuine (leather, i know you love wearing leather Laura ;) ) people.

    And how true,

    'It's disconcerting to think that it is only once someone passes, that they are given the attention and love they deserve.' sigh, my life in a nutshell right there for you baby
    <3 you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria. You're too kind. I'm going to make one dedicated to you soon.

    ReplyDelete