Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The philosophy of art?


So, I'm currently undertaking a subject at university called 'Aesthetics and Aestheticism'. I'll tell you right now that it is amazing. I finally feel like I'm participating in discussion with like minded people. Although there are a few things I disagree with and find rather contradictory, the course is enlightening.

I'm currently taking a break from reading a Ruskin article about art and landscape painting. Its wonderful, albeit, long. But the length definitely correlates with it exhaustive and comprehensive analysis. The circularity and cyclic nature of his argument echoes, in my mind, something Michael Jackson said once about children knowing all of the world's secrets and truth. They simply have the inability to verbalise what they know. Ruskin discusses a similar issue by claiming that when we look at something at first glance and it pleases us, we continue to look at it and attempt to uncover its secrets and truths on many different layers only to discover the answer brings us back to the smiplicity of the art in the first place.

I hope this was understandable. (i.e. my writing, not Ruskin). I have the habit of verbally regurgitating my thoughts in bursts of excitement without editing them over here. My apologies.

Back to the books for me.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment